Cannabinoids are the active compounds in marijuana that give users their high. Delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol, known as delta 8 thc or simply Delta 8, is one of over 120 cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. It is also one of the most recently discovered cannabinoids and has been shown to have unique medical benefits. As research into medical marijuana continues, we’re discovering new benefits and uses for delta-8 THC every day. However, many people are not familiar with this cannabinoid or its properties. This article will explain everything you need to know about Delta-8 THC – its health benefits, side effects, strains with high levels of Delta 8, and more…
What is Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC is one of the many active compounds found in marijuana. Delta-8 THC is also known as 11-nor-9-carboxy-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. The name “Delta-8 THC” refers to a specific molecular structure. The “Delta-8” part refers to a specific type of chemical bond called an “ester bond” that links the molecule’s “carboxylic acid” and “tetrahydrocannabinol” parts. The “THC” part refers to the cannabinoid that this molecule is most similar to. As you will learn below, Delta-8 THC is very similar to THC, but it has some key differences.
What Are the Health Benefits of Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC has been shown to offer many of the same health benefits as traditional THC. One of the most promising aspects of Delta-8 THC is that it has a high safety profile. Unlike other cannabinoids, such as CBD, no adverse side effects or health risks have been discovered in Delta-8 THC. The only downside is that it has much weaker psychoactive properties than other cannabinoids. When used therapeutically, Delta-8 THC may be able to treat a variety of conditions and diseases, including:
– Anxiety and Stress – Delta-8 THC has been shown to reduce stress and anxiety in mice. Humans experience similar results: Research has shown that Delta-8 THC may be able to reduce symptoms of anxiety and stress in humans.
– Inflammation – Studies have shown that Delta-8 THC may be effective at reducing inflammation in the body and treating certain inflammatory diseases.
– Nausea, vomiting, and other side effects from other medications – Research has shown that delta-8 THC may be effective for nausea, vomiting and other side effects from other medications.
– Appetite loss – Although the research is limited, Delta-8 THC has been shown to increase appetite in some patients.
– Pain – The cannabinoid is effective in treating pain, especially neuropathic pain, which is chronic pain that’s caused by damage to the nervous system.
Side Effects of Delta-8 THC
Unlike many other cannabinoids, Delta-8 THC has a very low risk of adverse side effects. Researchers have found no side effects of Delta-8 THC so far. The only potential risk of Delta-8 THC is that it has weaker psychoactive properties than other cannabinoids. This means that it’s unlikely to cause the “high” that marijuana users crave.
Although this is a potential downside, it can also be beneficial. The weaker psychoactive properties of Delta-8 THC mean that it may be a better option for certain patients. For example, people concerned about potential side effects from THC, such as sleepiness, may want to try Delta-8 THC instead.
How is Delta 8 Different From Other Cannabinoids?
Delta-8 THC is very similar to traditional THC but also has some key differences. Delta-8 THC is 9 carbons shorter than THC, which may account for some of its unique properties. For example, researchers have found that Delta-8 THC has a very low potential for abuse and addiction compared to THC. Delta-8 THC may have an even lower risk of adverse side effects than THC. While the research is very limited, so far no side effects have been discovered.